10 Healthy Ways to Treat Yourself During a Pandemic
It’s no question that 2020 has been a tough year for all of us, and as the days get shorter and darker, the winter blues are starting to creep in. Some of you may have noticed that the reduced level of sunlight can cause winter-onset SAD (Seasonal affective disorder — a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons). It disrupts your body’s internal clock and may lead to feelings of depression.
The truth is, it’s both important yet difficult not to complain at times like this. Just remember that while things could be better, they could always be worse.
While the pandemic has changed how we live day to day, it doesn’t mean we can’t find ways to enjoy ourselves in healthy and safe ways. If you’ve been having trouble finding ways to treat yourself this year, here are some things you can do to give back to someone very important — you!
- Book yourself a massage. This calms your nervous system and can improve both your blood and lymphatic circulation. It also relieves muscle pain (if you’ve been going extra hard at our Silos), and can help manage arthritis, sciatica, and muscle spasms.
- Start your day with some stretching. Doing this first thing in the morning can relieve any tension and pain from your sleep the night before, and it also increases your blood flow and prepares your body for the day ahead of you. There are some fabulous guided stretches you can check out on Youtube that will really open up your body and improve your posture throughout the day. We recommend you try this 15-minute full-body stretch or this 20-minute full-body flow.
- Sweat it out at any of our Silos. Our app gives you access to our network of fully private gym studios, with all the equipment you need for any killer workout. Our Silos are perfect during this time because they’re 100% private and deep cleaned between every session. You can book our Silos by the hour to train alone, with a friend, or with a trainer. Just download our app on the App or Play store to book your very own private gym today.
- Turn your home into a spa and try a DIY face mask. Whether your skin is dry or oily, there are lots of natural masks you can whip up in your kitchen using basic ingredients, like coconut oil, honey, salt, and olive oil! You can check out a few recipes on Elle or Allure.
- Bake your favourite healthy treat. Dessert is good for the soul, and there are lots of simple, healthy recipes out there. Clean Eating Goddess is a great source for this, and if you’ve never tried any of her recipes, you should definitely try making her Vegan Chocolate Chips Cookie Dough Bites or the Cinnamon Banana Loaf.
- Pretend to be a tourist in your city. Go for a walk in your favorite park, support a local coffee shop, and check out that monument you’ve been meaning to go to. Plus, it’s a great way to get those steps in!
- Try an art project or paint a picture. You can pick up all kinds of supplies at an arts and crafts store, and get lost on a canvas on a lazy Sunday. This is a great way to sharpen your mind and it can be extremely therapeutic. Plus, conceptual visualization and implementation help boost memory skills!
- Make yourself a playlist and have a dance party — whether you live alone or not. Dancing has tons of benefits for your body; it improves your cardiovascular fitness, strengthens your muscles, increases circulation, lowers blood pressure, reduces stress, and the list goes on! Plus, it’s even more fun dancing when no one’s watching!
- Give yourself some compliments. What have you accomplished recently, and what are you proud of? Stop waiting for people to praise you, you’re pretty amazing and of all people, you should know that. Don’t be shy — recognize your strengths and accomplishments!
- Decompress at the end of the day. Put on some zen music, light your favourite candle, dim the lights, and meditate (you can try guided meditations on Mindful, Headspace, Spotify, or Youtube). This helps the parasympathetic response to help your body and mind wind down. Meditation also optimizes your ability to move through the sleep cycles so that you can get a deeper, more restful sleep. Trust me, you’ll thank me later!
While it may seem nearly impossible to remember what life was like before all of this, this can be the start of something even better! We know the pandemic has made it harder to enjoy ourselves with our usual treats and rituals, but this is the perfect time to try something new, so we hope this blogpost helps you find a new way to treat yourself!